Regular air duct cleaning helps improve your home’s air quality and should be included in maintaining your HVAC system. While most Calgary duct cleaners will recommend a service once every two to three years, how often you should get your ducts professionally cleaned really depends on a number of factors.
When to get your air ducts cleaned
Besides the recommended time frame, you should get your ducts cleaned:
- Before moving into a new home, if you’re unsure when the previous owners had the air ducts cleaned last
- After completing home renovations where drywall dust and other debris can be pulled into your ducts and blown around your home
- If you notice dust, debris, and other particles spewing out of your vents
- If you suspect that an object has fallen through the vents and into the ducts
- If there is mold growing inside your ductwork or other HVAC components
- If you suspect there are rodents or insects inside your ducts
When to increase the frequency of duct cleaning
If you or a member of your household suffer from allergies, experiencing an unexplained respiratory illness, or if you have pets, it’s recommended to have your air ducts cleaned more frequently.
We also recommend investing in an air filter to reduce the number of airborne particles filtering through your ducts.
The best time to get your air ducts cleaned
Calgary duct cleaners operate all year round, but if you’re wondering what time of the year is most ideal for a duct cleaning, we recommend scheduling an appointment at the end of spring. This is the time of year when most plants have fully blossomed, and there is less pollen coming into your home through open windows.
Over the winter, your HVAC system works hard to heat your home and provide a comfortable environment. Scheduling routine maintenance along with an air duct cleaning in the spring ensures your system is operating at an optimal level after a long and cold season.
Remember, your HVAC system, including your air ducts, work as an ecosystem to provide comfort throughout your home all year round. Keeping it well-maintained along with clean air du helps extend its lifespan and prevents a more costly repair or replacement down the road.